Thursday, February 26, 2009

A New Direction

Hey all,

I know i haven't been updated as often as i usually do, but real life and WC has been taking over my time!

Anyhoo, before i go into the body of this post - i thought i'd share some great news. When i started up the writer's chronicle i decided that a goal of mine would be to have 50 members before the end of 2009! Well although we are only 3 weeks old, we now have 47 members. YAY!!

Ok so back on point, i bought a book recently called 'first draft to finished novel' and although i'm not one for these sort of books, i thought this one looked good. It is very structured and is all about building a 'strong foundation' for your book etc. and i think this struck a cord in regards to SoD which is floundering with lack of direction.

Many of you may not know but my WIP, the Sight of Darkness is actually a 'practice' novel. Something to break my teeth on and get a sense of myself as a writer etc. but then when reading this book, i kept thinking of this idea for a novel which has been festering for past two years.

The idea emerged from a 'that would make a great idea for a book' thought when i was having a lecture in my psychology course. I put it to one side though because i wanted to be really 'skilled' when i wrote it.

So i've decided to go in a new direction and start afresh with a new approach for a new novel. I'm not abandoning SoD but i'd like to see how writing in a structured way might work for me.

hmmmmm i guess we'll have to wait and see. . .

4 comments:

Lapillus said...

Congrats on the members. Maybe you should shoot for 100 now?

Good luck on your new MS. I have two novel ideas that I'm letting sit because I don't feel like I can do them justice yet. I can't wait until I'll be ready for them though!

Clare C. Greenstreet said...

wow, cool about the members. I still need to join.

Where'd you get the book from, sounds intresting.

Alice Kildaire said...

Sounds like a great book! I've always been a bit leery of "structured" writing but have decided in recent months I might need to give it a try. Let me know how it work for you!

Jen said...

I just bought that book, too. :) I like it a lot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails