Sunday, March 15, 2009

Saint Patrick's Day : Irish Literature.


Ok so i'm jumping to gun a little, but i'll be busy St. Paddys day drowning my sorrows while i try and get my course work done.

So Ireland is known as the land of Saints & Scholars and i guess you could add writers to this title as well.

The most famous of all the irish writers past and present are those in this picture: James Joyce, Oscar Wilde and four nobel prize winners - Yeats, Shaw, Beckett & Heaney (although Heaney would be classified as poet)

I think alot of people forget that such famous novels as Dracula (Bram Stoker), Gulliver's Travels (johnathon Swift) and The vicar of Wakefield (Oliver Goldsmith) were writtern by Irish people.

Or such famous plays and playrights that range from restoration period with William Congreve to those of the Abbey threatre like Yeats, Synge and O'Casey or twentieth century playwrites like Beckett, Behan, Friel & McGuiness were born and bred in Ireland

Interesting, i think is that 'Johny I hardly Knew Ye' - an Irish Traditional anti-war, anti-recruitment song's tune was used for the basis of 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' written by Patrick Gilmore (Irish born composer) which he wrote during American Civil War. I always wondered why i would hear this song on U.S. TV programs/films!



And on a less serious and pompous note - Can't wait to watch the simpsons episode on Tuesday!

5 comments:

CJ Raymer said...

Wonderful post, Emily! It's true. So many people do not realize the contribution made by fellow Irish writers and poets. Thanks for clarifying!

AlpHa Buttonpusher said...

love the post..especially the wrapp up..lol

Jen said...

Wow, I feel dumb for not knowing that all those people came from Ireland.
*Duh*

Awesome post, and an interesting read. Come St. Pat's, I'll be dressed head to toe in green and probably off writing somewhere.

Oh, my word verification is "pawsot." That sounds so weird...

Lady Glamis said...

Oh, GREAT post! I have a Scottish last name (Argyle), but I love all things Irish anyway. :)

Joyce is one of my faves. Thanks for revealing som other great ones!

Melissa Barrett-Traister said...

So nice to connect with someone that has an extensive appreciation for the arts.
Kudos to all the shared information...
Happy(early)St.Patrick's Day,my friend.
Much love,
Melissa

Related Posts with Thumbnails