Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Book Questionnaire

So i was wondering around the blogosphere and came across this questionnaire on Amanda's Blog and she found it originally on Savvy Verse & Wit



1. Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Ok i'm so bad but i don't know the difference between trade and mass market - so i'm going to say 'paperback'. Hardback is to hard and bulky to hold in bedand carry around when mobile.

2. Barnes & Noble or Borders?

Neither because (as far as i know) they're not here in Ireland, so my choice would be between Easons and Waterstones - has to be waterstones for books and service. the staff know what they are on about while Easons is almost always full of stationary, and less with the books. For indep bookstore it has to be Dubray - great service and variety of books

3. Bookmark or dog-ear?
I know i should bookmark but i'm a dog earer and spine breaker too.

4. Amazon or brick and mortar?
I love quiet bookshops but amazon is amazing for variety and accessibility (especially when you don't even have book shop in your local town)

5. Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
Random cause i'm lazy, but i am sooooooo organising my shelves to look like this!!



6. Keep, throw away, or sell?
I'm a hoarder so i keep EVERYTHING!! and i feel so bad when i see people throw books away, its like a sin. books need a home too *sniff*

7. Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Don't have many hardbooks, but i keep them (see above question as to why)

8. Read with dust jacket or remove it?
keep them on, find them annoying though but if i removed it i'd probably lose it.

9. Short story or novel?
Mostly novels, but I love short stories when they are written well.

10. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
neither

11. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
When i've fallen asleep or can't stand up due to eye strain is usual my 'stop sign'

12. "It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
Both

13. Buy or borrow?

Buy - i don't mind library borrowing, but my local doesn't exactly have great selection

14. New or used?

Don't mind either way, sometimes 'character' is a good quality

15. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?

Browsing, and blog recommendations/word of mouth(text)

16. Tidy ending or cliffhanger?

Both, but the resolution has to fit the plot.

17. Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?

Monday to friday its night reading, saturday and sunday is all day reading

18. Stand-alone or series?

Again, I don't discriminate, but the series has to be good and continue to be so to hold my attention.

19. Favorite series?
Alisson Croggan's The Gift Fantasy Series

20. Favorite children's book?
The little Princess or Black Beauty

21. Favorite YA book?
Twilgiht/Hunger Games

22. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
The book of lost things by John Connolly

23. Favorite books read last year?
The book thief, Hunger Games, The singing,

24. Favorite books of all time?
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, The Book Thief, The Gift series, The book of lost things, the little princess, secret garden, black beauty, the hawthorne series.

25. What are you reading right now?
articles about SHRM and Line Managers - i want my course to be finished soon!!!

26. What are you reading next?
don't get me started!!

27. Favorite book to recommend to an eleven-year-old?
The Hawthorne series.

28. Favorite book to reread?
Pride & Prejudice

29. Do you ever smell books?
I do occasionally.

30. Do you ever read Primary source documents?
Sometimes, especially when i'm doing academic writing

3 comments:

Amanda said...

HI Emily. Don't worry, I don't know the difference between the two types of paperback, either! I love your picture of the rainbow shelves (my husband has already declared we have to do that). And I'm sorry your library doesn't have a good selection. San Antonio has one of the best library systems I've ever seen. If it's not at our branch, they get it from any of the other 30-something branches in town, and ship it out to you, and you can return them anywhere. It's very rare that I can't find what I want, and then I can use the inter-library loan to get it from anywhere in the country.

Oh, and I can't wait to read the Hunger Games! I've heard so many good things.

AlpHa Buttonpusher said...

OOOHhh looky..beautiful pic..ohh..*sigh*

Jessica said...

I think I would scream if I saw someone throw a book away! eek.
I'm a dog-earer too. Didn't know it until my father-in-law looked at me in horror when I did it. LOL
That's so neat that you live in Ireland. My friend is writing about the rainforest up there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails