Friday, April 10, 2009

Reading to Write

So, I was scanning through my blogger when i cam across this post by the 'How publishing really works blog' which struck a cord.

I read alot, but like many people i want to be swept up in the fantasy of reading. I don't want to stop and analyse how the author opened, or how they use 'said' instead of '*insert word* edly' as a dialogue tag.

I read to escape the mind numbing academic work (which involves lots of analysis) but soon i will be free and i think 'times need a chang-ing'.

So as an additional part of my 'fill in the gaps project' and as part of my usual reading, i'm going to make myself read all my favourite books in a very critical way and analyse how they work.

Stay Tuned . . .

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for the link, Emily. Reading other books is one of the biggest pieces of advice I like to give out to other writers. I truly believe doing that has been the biggest help in improving my writing. By the way, I like the new look of your blog. Not sure how long ago you changed it, but it looks good. Have a great weekend!

Nikki said...

Great Link! Thanks and happy reading to you!

Emily Cross said...

Thanks guys!

Cindy - i just changed it there. was playing around with it. Still not happy with the header. will be changing that now.

Jane Smith said...

Thank you for linking to my blog, Emily--I'm glad you enjoy it. I hope it's of some help.

Lady Glamis said...

Make sure you look for all those layers. :D

I like the look of your blog. Very nice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails