Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A little Note on Talent

Nathan Bransford has asked the infamous question: how do you know if you have talent?

I often think about this question, because i often think i don't.

As one commenter stated, talent comes in two forms - writing and storytelling. Perhaps i can string some words together but can i keep an audience captivated? I honestly don't know.

So, i came across this comment which really struck me, (so much so i'm posting it here)

"I have no idea whether I have talent or not. I have no idea if I'll be published or not. Since these are things I cannot control (well, not completely anyway), I've decided not to worry about them anymore.

Instead I'm going to write my first book and see how it turns out. Then I'll write a second book and see how it turns out. Hopefully more (and better) books will follow.

When I have a novel that I feel is publishable, I'll polish it up as much as possible and send it out into the world and see how it fares"
Definitely something i need to keep reminding myself!

4 comments:

Tamika: said...

Funny, that is exactly what I plan on doing!

Happy writing...

Valerie Wangnet said...

"If you can't excell with talent, triumph with effort."

All the best with your writings,
Val

Kamille Leili Elahi said...

I'm using a blog that everyone can read to see if I have talent. If not, then I'll just keep my writing to myself!

Shaun said...

Story is everything. An editor will choose a great story told badly over a bad story told well. I've always doubted my ability to write well but never my ability to come up with great stories. The first time I put my writing doubts aside and got a story finished I sent it off and within a year was looking at that story on a shelf in a book store. Talent schmalent - if you love doing something, odds are you're good at it and will be successful. And if not, well that doesn't matter because ... you love doing it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails