Monday, October 18, 2010

Covorting with some Covers (II): USA vs. UK/IRE

To spice up my weekly 'covorting with some covers' meme, I'm going from time to time (see how unpredictable and wild i am. . . ) I'm going to include some US vs. UK/IRE comparisons.



Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.

Thoughts: Definitely think that in both 'Shiver' and UK book cover version (left) rules the day. It looks darker, more of a contrast and more eye catching if sitting on bookshelf (unless beside twilight lol).








The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Thoughts: US (left) without a doubt a winner here. The UK cover looks so generic YA PR that it wouldn't catch my eye at all, while US cover just makes you want to read it!







Morganville Vampire Series by Rachel Caine
(e.g. Book 1: Glass houses)
Thoughts: Neither of these covers do anything amazing for me. But I do think that UK cover (right) appeals to me more. It definitely knows its market. I think the later covers on the UK side do improve, and are very pretty. The US cover (left) is edgy but just doesn't leap out at me.




Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Chanelle said...

I agree with each of your choices. It's funny how countries warrant different covers!

Shellie - Layers of Thought said...

I almost always like the UK/Ireland covers better than the US.

I guess they know what they're doing... they some times change the titles as well. As in example of the book BareBack which was changed to Benighted by Kit Whitefield.

She is up for the World Fantasy this year...for In Great Waters.

We Americans are such prudes that we would have taken the title out of context.... Darn shame...

brandileigh2003 said...

US for first two, and I agree- don't particularly like either for the 3rd

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Emily Cross said...

@Thanks Chanelle, yeah I think it's mental, especially between english-speaking countries.

@Shellie - Well I think US gets alot of covers right, e.g. twilight cover, which is amazing (and started the trend). I may look up this 'Bareback' (which i automatically assoc with riding. . . i mean horseriding ;)

Brandi - Thanks for dropping by. Totally agree about 'the replacement'

Jennifer Louise said...

I prefer the lighter Shiver cover, but I also do like the dark one. I actually prefer the Linger cover though, over the shiver cover.

Plus, the words are green in Linger ;)

Jennifer Louise said...

I prefer the lighter Shiver cover, but I also do like the dark one. I actually prefer the Linger cover though, over the shiver cover.

Plus, the words are green in Linger ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails