Sunday, October 28, 2012

To kill a Warlock, HP Mallory

BLURB: "The murder of a dark arts warlock. A shape-shifting, ravenous creature on the loose. A devilishly handsome stranger sent to investigate. Sometimes working law enforcement for the Netherworld is a real bitch.

Dulcie O’Neil is a fairy. And not the type to frolic in gardens. She’s a Regulator—a law-enforcement agent who monitors the creatures of the Netherworld to keep them from wreaking havoc in the mortal world. When a warlock is murdered and Dulcie was the last person to see him alive, she must uncover the truth before she’s either deported back to the Netherworld, or she becomes the next victim.

Enter Knight Vander, a sinfully attractive investigator sent from the Netherworld to work the case with Dulcie. Between battling her attraction to her self-appointed partner, keeping a sadomasochistic demon in check, and fending off the advances of a sexy and powerful vampire, Dulcie’s got her hands full. As the body count increases, Dulcie finds herself battling dark magic, reconnoitering in S&M clubs and suffering the greatest of all betrayals."

The one thing many people say about this series is "If you love the sookie stackhouse series, you'll love this!". Well I would say, if you love the sookie stackhouse series, you'll love this even more!

I downloaded the e-book of 'To kill a warlock' for free on Amazon.com. I then read the entire series, in a matter of days (of absolutely no sleep - but who cares!) and I can easily see why HP Mallory is a bestselling independent author.

Dulcie, is an independent and strong (fairy) woman. She has her issues like the rest of us, but she tries to battle them. What I especially liked about her character is that she is very in-control when it comes to men, she may get all weak-knees (especially around a certain Knight) but she still stays firm. She doesn't jump straight into things with men (which is rampant in other PR/UF books) - she's cautious, which is so much more realistic (and endearing). I really loved this character and totally got where she was coming from.

H.P. Mallory is certainly amazing at creating well-developed and charismatic characters. Even the villians feel very fleshed out - no black and white but plenty of grey as to motives etc. which I really enjoyed. In actually fact, I never saw the twist (which is saying something because I usually have it within a few chapters) so I was thoroughly shocked, but also delighted that, despite the twist, the characters stayed true to themselves.

This series is smart, fun and at it's heart - pure escapism in the best possible way. So I would highly recommend you read these books, if you want a bit of fun and Knight (yum!) in your life.

 I would usually say 'this book was money well spent' but this doesn't work for this series - the first e-book is free and the others are extremely reasonable! So go on to amazon.com and enjoy this fun read :)

I'm giving this book (and the series so far): 5 moons



Also book #5 Malice in Wonderland is coming out 19th November. 

1 comments:

The Readingista said...

I have had this on my Kindle forever. I have to read it now! Thanks for your great review. I have a read-a-thon this week, so maybe I can squeeze this one in there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails