Sunday, May 18, 2014

Killing your darlings. . .

“In writing, you must kill all your darlings.” - William Faulkner

As writers we all have those "perfect lines" that we absolutely adore - however as we start editing and rewriting - often these well-loved darlings can distract and disrupt the flow of your story.

Being able to Kill your darlings is often an essential part of being a writer.

Recently, I've come across this myself as I've been rewriting/editing my WIP Darkshines and (after a good deal of sighing) had to cut some of my most-loved darlings!

But even after cutting these lines from my text, I couldn't let them go - so I now have a "darling" file where I copy and paste these loved lines to a new home, that is, rather than killing them - I'm sending them to "a farm".

I wonder if you, lovely readers, have come across this too? Were you able to kill your darlings? Or did you, like me, send them to "the farm"?


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails